Quiet Electronics Moderated Newsgroup For The Electronic Professionals and Other Professionals > Illinois
> Vats ignition buick lesabre 92 93 94 95 96 97 1998 1999
Vats ignition buick lesabre 92 93 94 95 96 97 1998 1999
I have a solution that can save you $200.00+
1992 1993 1994 1995 1996 1997 1998 1999
You must be at least a little mechanical minded because this procedure will require you to remove and replace the ignition switch.
1. Instructions to replace VATS Switch.
2. New Single sided VATS Switch.
4. Two (2) VATS keys cut to fit your new ignition.
Dealer or Locksmith price of approx
3. You will need to follow instructions and replace old VATS Switch with new VATS Switch.
4. After replacing switch, turn on ignition switch.
5. Test the resistance of the new VATS Key. (This key has two metal prongs sticking out the end of the key. Use you Ohm Meter place a lead on each prong with switch turned on to get an Ohm value. Compare number to values below to determine Vats Value needed.)
Vats stands for Vehicle Anti Theft System. Lots of people refer to this type of key, as a " computer Chip key". This key or "Chip" has nothing to do with a computer, nor is it a chip. But because of the popularity of calling it a computer chip key, so will we. The black chip on the blade of the key is actually a resister. GM first started using the Vats key in 1986 on the Corvettes, then some of the Cadillac’s, ECT. GM uses 15 different resistors in their vats keys. Just looking at the keys you can’t tell the difference.
How does the Vats System work?
Each vats key has it’s own unique cuts on the key to operate the lock. But the cuts alone will not allow the car to crank. This is called a mechanical key. Each car has a Vats module (Brain) under the dash that communicates to the starter, fuel pump, and the ignition lock. Each vats module is randomly given a # (value) from the manufacturer. When the proper mechanical keys, with the proper vats chip (resistor value) turns the ignition lock, the vats module reads the chip on the key. If it is the correct chip, the vats module will tell the starter and the fuel pump to operate. If the wrong chip is read, the vats module will tell starter and the fuel pump to shut down.
How to determine the Value of your key?
By chance you may know what vats key you now have. Most people do not. There are basically two ways to determine what vats key you have. Remember, there are 15 different possibilities. First, your key can be " read " in a vats tester. Most locksmiths have these readers, and don’t charge anything to tell you. There is a way for you to read the key value yourself. If you have a Volt Meter you can test the OHMS (The Value) of the chip yourself. Just set your Voltmeter to check to 20 K OHMS Take each lead and place it on each side of the " chip " on your key. A number will appear. Take that number on your voltmeter and apply it to the OHMS chart below. Keep in mind that it may not be exact. Just pick the closest value to your reading. I do realize that some of you don’t even know what a Volt Meter is, not to mention having one. So there is a great alternative for you. Just take your key to a Radio Shack, or your local Auto Mechanic. Ask them to do as I described above.
THIS CHART IS FOR ANY GM PRODUCT, BUICK, CADILLAC, CHEVROLET, AND PONTIAC THAT HAS A VATS KEY, SINGLE OR DOUBLE SIDED KEY.
1. Secondary keys may have plastic heads or may be solid brass or nickel plated brass. You will receive a secondary key made by Ilco Kaba, Star, Jet, Curtis, Cole or Strattec. Secondary key may or may not look like key pictured but will work with Model and years described. Secondary key will depend on supply on hand.
2. Once keys have been cut, No refund or exchange will be given.
4. Under no condition will return postage be refunded or paid by seller.
Out of USA orders $15.00 additional.
Check out store for more keys!!!